Put analytics code here

  • E
  • F
  • G
  • H
  • J
  • K
  • L
  • M
  • N
  • O
  • P
  • Q
  • R
  • S
  • T
  • U
  • V
  • W
  • X
  • X
  • Y
  • Z


Providing relevant technology for University Housing

Frequently Asked Questions

This page contains some common questions we receive along with some nifty answers to complement them. If you cannot find an answer to a question you have somewhere in this Information section, feel free to contact us. We will add more questions and answers as we receive them.

  1. Can I bring more than one computer to campus?

Yes. Many students have multiple devices that need to access the network all at once. WIth the new Wi-fi access points in all residence halls, students are no longer limited to using only one at a time. 

  1. Can I get a second Internet port put in my room if I only have one?

No. In most cases, we simply do not have the capacity on the network for each student to have more than one port.

  1. Can I bring a switch, hub, splitter or router to provide myself with extra Internet ports?

No. Attaching additional networking hardware to the Cal Poly residence hall network is against state and federal law, University Housing, Apartment/Residential Life, ResNet, and Information Technology Services policies. In addition, additional networking hardware can cause entire buildings to lose their Internet connection.

  1. I never got a virus with my old antivirus client. Why did I get a virus with Cal Poly's antivirus client? Can I go back to my old client?

Prior to coming to campus, your computer probably resided in a small, simple network. When you are on campus, you are attached to a network with literally thousands of computers. Chances of getting an infection are, unfortunately, just higher. Our version of Symantec AntiVirus is used by large corporate networks around the world. Overall, it has proven to be the best antivirus solution for our campus. 

  1. Why can't I use Microsoft Windows Server platforms?

It is against our network policies to run a server of any kind in the residence halls.

  1. Can I get a port opened on the firewall for my computer? Can I setup my computer to use a virtual private network (VPN)?

No. We do not provide students with access around the Internet network firewall. Some ports have been locked down for security reasons, and we do not make exceptions.

  1. Can I use a gaming console (such as an xBox or PlayStation) or video players (such as an Apple TV or Roku) in the residence halls?

Yes! In order to get these devices, you will need to connect to UH-Gaming-AV. Our Network utilizes Aruba ClearPass which automatically identifies and profiles the type of devices connected to the network and in most cases provides dynamic registration for this type of appliance. This dynamic registration generally takes about 24 hours to occur. If your device does not connect after 24 hours it may be necessary to register your device by visiting our office or emailing us your MAC address.

Please note: You should recall (from our network policies) that the network is designed for educational use only. This doesn't mean that you can't use a gaming console for entertainment purposes, but you should understand that we do NOT provide support for these types of devices and applications, other than an initial connection.

  1. Is it assumed that all students will bring their own printers, or does Resnet provide some sort of printing service that students can access on-line?

University Housing does not provide printing services, these services are available on Campus at the Library, and in a variety of labs thought different departments. Residents are welcome to bring there own printers or collaborate with roommates in sharing one. Please note: Wireless printing is only allowed through a Bluetooth connection.

  1. These are the devices that are not supported by our network.

    • Wireless Printers

    • Echo Show

    • Echo Dot

    • Amazon Echo

    • Echo Look

    • Amazon Tap

    • Chromecast

    • Apple Tv

    • Apple Homepod

    • Device to Device communication requirement 

   10. Connecting Gaming PCs, Game Consoles, TV's etc.

  • Provide Housing Technology staff with your MAC Address via SRS ticket or by contacting our team at (805) 756-5600.    

  • Once your device is profiled you will be notified to connect to UHGaming-AV.

  • The dynamic registration may take up to 24hours. If your device does not connect after 24 hours contact our office so that we can further assist you.

   11. Connecting Android Devices

  • Download and install the ClearPass QuickConnect app from Google Play. 

  • Go to Settings > Wireless and Networks > Wi-Fi, select the WiFiSetup network. Deselect Auto reconnect, then click CONNECT

  • Enter your Cal Poly username and password, then click the Log In button

  • Install Network Profile button, then click the OPEN link at the bottom of the screen.

  • Tap quick1x.networkconfig to install in the Downloads folder.

  • Once provisioning takes place a confirmation page will pop-up. You can now connect to SecureMustangWireless.

   12. Connecting an iOS (Apple) device

  • Tap Settings Wi-Fi, select the WiFiSetup network.

  • Open Safari. You should be redirected to the device registration page. Tap the Click here to install root certificate link

  • Install and allow certificates

  • The profile should be Verified.

  • Forget the network

  • Connect to SecureMustangWireless through Wi-Fi in Settings




Related Content